Recent Commercial Posts
Innovation in Building Safety
Weather you are going through a minor remodeling job or major construction, the code official wants your project to be success. Building safety professionals play a major role in keeping the public safe. They can also help avoid potential problems that could put you at risk and cost you time and money.
Plan Review and Inspection
The process is design to protect the home or building owner and occupant. Code officials ensure that all buildings, including homes, businesses and places of public assembly are built to require building safety codes witch address structural stability, fire safety, exits, sanitation, electricity, energy efficient, flood protection and more.
Lead Paint What You Need To Know About
it's the law!
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) requires firms performing renovation, repair, and painting projects that disturb lead-based paint in pre-1978 homes, child care facilities and schools be certified by the EPA.
SERVPRO's Compliance with Lead Paint Law
SERVPRO Franchise Professionals are aware of the guidelines involving lead paint and will take the necessary precautions according to current law.
What You Can Do to Protect Your Family from Lead in Pre-1978 Homes
- If you rent, notify your landlord of peeling chipping paint.
- Clean up paint chips immediately.
- Regularly clean floors, window sills, and other surfaces.
- Thoroughly rinse sponges and mop heads after cleaning dirty or dusty areas.
- Wash children's hands
The facts about Lead
- Lead-based paint was used in more than 38 million homes until it was banned for residential use in 1978.
- Lead can affect children's brain and developing nervous system, causing reduce IQ, learning disabilities and behaviour problems.
- Even children who seem healthy can have high levels of lead in their bodies.
When You Need to Get Back to Business Quickly
Our goal is to help make it...
"Like it never even happened."
As a commercial property management professionals, your clients and tenants rely on you for efficient day-to-day operations of their property. They also depend on you to protect it. SERVPRO of Westlake understands there's no such a thing as a small emergency when it can negatively impact occupant safety, revenue loss and business continuity.
Timely mitigation is key to minimizing damage, business interruptions and recovery costs. You and those who depend on you will appreciate the rapid response, expertise and training that enables SERVPRO of Westlake can help get your facility back into operation quickly.
Give SERVPRO of Westlake a call and leave the restoration to our professional.
Call Us Today 213-315-5136
Do you know how to turn off your water supply?
For most jobs in-the-home jobs, all you’ll need to do is switch off an indoor supply valve.
- Identify the main shut off valve. This is usually a brass valve that has a round handle. In most homes, it is located near the main water pipe leading into your home.
- Shut the valve by turning it clockwise. This will cut off the stream of water flowing into your home. If the valve is stiff, wear a glove while closing it to protect your hand as you apply some elbow grease. After that, all appliances that use water will no longer work until the water is turned back on.
- Turn on all of the faucets to flush the remaining water in the system. Run your sinks, baths, and showers until the water stops flowing. When water’s been bled from the lines completely, turn all of the faucets off.
Perform only when the structure has been cleared as safe
Take the greatest caution while entering your home, and wear sturdy shoes and protective clothing when dealing with flooded areas. Wear protective clothing at all times.
- Take photos or video to record conditions of collections and structure. Make sure images clearly record damage.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions for even drying.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Remove any paintings, art objects, documents and other sensitive materials to a safe, dry place.
- Place fans at 45-degree angles to walls and move large furniture away from walls to create the best air circulation
- Appoint a media liaison to report conditions and need for help/volunteers. You may have to limit access to collections.
- Do not enter rooms with standing water where electrical shock hazards may exist.
- Do not attempt to operate any electrical equipment while standing in wet or damp locations.
- Do not leave books, newspapers, magazines or other colored items on wet carpets or floors to cause staining.
- Do not leave Oriental rugs or other colored rugs on wet wall-to-wall carpets to cause staining.
- Do not use TVs or other appliances while standing on wet carpets or floors, especially not on wet concrete floors.
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet or enter rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
- Do not turn on heat unless required for human comfort.
- Do not move objects or collections without documenting their condition.
- Throw away all foods – even canned goods – that have come into contact with flood waters.
- If your home has a crawlspace, be aware excess moisture in this area can often foster mold growth.
About SERVPRO of Westlake
SERVPRO of Westlake specialize in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration.
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Westlake will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – 213-315-5136
Restoring Your Commercial Property After A Water Damage Event!
Commercial Water Damage Events Present Unique Challenges.
Flooding and water damage events in Downtown LA commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Westlake
SERVPRO of Westlake specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
SERVPRO of Westlake provides 24 hour fire and water damage restoration service.
Faster to your Water Damage Event
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. Westlake provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
Faster To Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO of Westlake arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 – 213-315-5136
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
About SERVPRO of Westlake
SERVPRO of Westlake specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.