Innovation in Building Safety
Weather you are going through a minor remodeling job or major construction, the code official wants your project to be success. Building safety professionals play a major role in keeping the public safe. They can also help avoid potential problems that could put you at risk and cost you time and money.
Plan Review and Inspection
The process is design to protect the home or building owner and occupant. Code officials ensure that all buildings, including homes, businesses and places of public assembly are built to require building safety codes witch address structural stability, fire safety, exits, sanitation, electricity, energy efficient, flood protection and more.
Lead Paint What You Need To Know About
it's the law!
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) requires firms performing renovation, repair, and painting projects that disturb lead-based paint in pre-1978 homes, child care facilities and schools be certified by the EPA.
SERVPRO's Compliance with Lead Paint Law
SERVPRO Franchise Professionals are aware of the guidelines involving lead paint and will take the necessary precautions according to current law.
What You Can Do to Protect Your Family from Lead in Pre-1978 Homes
- If you rent, notify your landlord of peeling chipping paint.
- Clean up paint chips immediately.
- Regularly clean floors, window sills, and other surfaces.
- Thoroughly rinse sponges and mop heads after cleaning dirty or dusty areas.
- Wash children's hands
The facts about Lead
- Lead-based paint was used in more than 38 million homes until it was banned for residential use in 1978.
- Lead can affect children's brain and developing nervous system, causing reduce IQ, learning disabilities and behaviour problems.
- Even children who seem healthy can have high levels of lead in their bodies.
Air Quality Awareness Week!
This years theme is check the AQI and get outside.
Everyday we inhale thousands of gallons of air. That air also contains tiny pollution particles. Exposure to high levels of ozones and particle pollution is linked to health problems.
Pollution can come from cars, buses, power plants, wildfires and industries. When pollution reaches a high level the air can be unhealthy. Due to the normal aging process children, older adults and people with lung disease may experience increased health risk from exposure to unhealthy air. Use the air quality index (AQI) to help you understand and what steps you should take to protect yourself.
You can help reduce pollution by following these steps:
- Carpool or use public transportation
- Avoid burning leaves, trash and other materials.
- Keep your car in good operating condition and get regular tune ups.
Wildfire & Smoke
Wildfires and smoke is a mixture of gases and fine particles from burning trees and other plants materials that can be dangerous if inhaled. People who are exposed to wildfire smoke may developed a number of symptoms.
Weather plays a big role in the levels of ozones and particle pollution. Sunlight and heat promote ozones formation. Light winds and temperature inversions can keep pollution concentrated near the ground.
Smoke is made up of ash, tiny particles, liquid droplets, and gases. It also contains toxic chemicals released from burning flame retardants in furniture and fabrics, and other chemicals in buildings materials.
How to reduce your exposure to Smoke
- Keep windows and doors closed turn on your air conditioner.
- Avoid activities that increase indoor pollution. That means no smoking, burning candles, cooking on gas stove.
Mold are found in every environment and mold spores reproduce rapidly when moisture is present. An Institute of Medicine study found excessive dampness indoors encourage the growth of molds and others organisms, causing a public health problem. The EPA advised that the potential health concerns from mold growth. It is especially important to clean up existing indoor mold growth to increase property appeal and retained its value. If a property has experienced a water intrusion, your SERVPRO Franchise Professional can inspect the damage to see whether moisture has penetrated materials or is allowing mold growth.
Control Moisture- Reduce Mold
Prior to listing a property, the following steps can be taken to reduce the potential moisture buildup or mold growth. Should a damage event occur, timely response is the key to preventing further damage- act withing the first 24 to 48 hours.
- Correct any water leaks or standing water.
- Remove standing water under cooling coils or air handling units.
- Properly maintain humidifiers, if used
- Replace wet or visible moldy insulation materials.
- Steam cleaning and other methods involving moisture should not be used on any kind of duct work.
- Install a ventilation system.
Prepare Your Home for Winter Whether
Tips For Preparing Your Home for Winter Weather
- Keep Cabinets doors open during cold spells. This allows warm air to circulate around pipes.
- Keep a slow trickle of water flowing through faucets, especially if the pipes for faucets run through unheated or or uninsulated areas of your home.
- Consider shutting off outdoor faucets. Find the shut off valve in the basement or crawl space and turn it to "off."
- If you follow the previous steps, then open the outdoor faucet to help ensure it drains completely and the inner valve is shut off.
- Ensure gutters are clean and secure. Leaves and debris accumulate, causing a damming effect on gutters, which could lead to roof problems and water damage.
- Proper maintenance of your furnace can help reduce the risk of puffbacks.
Prepare Your Business For Winter Wheater
Tips for Preparing Your Business for Winter Weather
- Check your business property for downed tree limbs and branches. Whether, such as wind, heavy rain, ice and snow, can cause branches to fall, which could cause damage to the property and potentially cause personal injuries.
- Inspect property, especially walkways and parking lots, for proper drainage to alleviate flood hazard potential.
- Inspect all handrails, stairwells and entryways to address and correct potential slippery or hazardous areas. Install mats or non-slip surface and post caution signs where water could be present.
- Ask your local SERVPRO Franchise Professionals about starting an Emergency Ready Profile for your business.
Faster To Any Size Disaster
When winter weather strikes.....we strike back.
Like it never even happened.
Call Us Today 213-315-5136
Winter Whether Tips
A frozen pipe can burst at the point where the ice blockage inside the pipes is located, but typically the rupture is caused by the backflow pressure between the water source and the blockage. A burst pipe can cause considerable damage to your property if not addressed quickly. Your SERVPRO Franchise Professional is faster to any size disaster, bringing the latest equipment and training to help make your water damage " Like it never even happened."
Ice dams can be a major problem during the winter season. They form when heated air melts roof snow downward into water dammed behind still-frozen ice. When the trapped water cannot safely flow or run into the gutter system, it can backflow under the roof's shingles and into the structure's interior areas. Your local SERVPRO Franchise Professional can help mitigate water damage caused by ice dams and help you get your structure back to preloss condition.
Fire & Smoke Damage Tips
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpet.
- Keep hands clean. Soot on hands can further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork,
- Place dry, colorfast towels or old linen on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator completely and prop doors open to help prevent odor.
- Wipe soot from chrome on kitchen and bathroom faucets, trim and appliances, then protect these surface with a light coating of lubricant.
- If heat is off during winter, pour RV antifreeze in sinks, trim and appliances, then protect these surfaces with a light coating of lubricant.
- Wash both sides of leaves on house plants.
- Change HVAC filter, but leave system off until a trained professional can check the system.
- Attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting your SERVPRO Franchise Professional.
- Attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture without first consulting your SERVPRO Franchise Professional.
- Attempt to clean any electrical appliances (TV sets, radios, etc.) that may have been close to fire , heat or water without first consulting an authorized repair services.
- Consume any food or beverages that may have been stored close to fire, heat or water. (They may be contaminated.
When You Need a Quick Response- Call on SERVPRO.
You Can Trust SERVPRO!
Serving America Since 1967
SERVPRO Franchise Professionals have been helping business owners recover from fire and water damages across North America.
Over 1,700 Franchise in North America
More locations mean faster response. A SERVPRO Franchise Professional can usually be on-site within four hours to help protect the structure, business and personal property.
SERVPRO Call Center Serves Insurance and Property Management Companies and Their Clients.
We have earned the trust of the insurance industry by serving thousands of their policy holders and clients with respect and integrity. The more restore, the less needs to be replaced. This helps our clients save millions of dollars each year. That helps lower your insurance rate, too!
24- Hour Emergency Services
In our business, you need us fast! The sooner we arrive, the better the chances we can reduce damages and save money. Franchise Professionals are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.