Mold are found in every environment and mold spores reproduce rapidly when moisture is present. An Institute of Medicine study found excessive dampness indoors encourage the growth of molds and others organisms, causing a public health problem. The EPA advised that the potential health concerns from mold growth. It is especially important to clean up existing indoor mold growth to increase property appeal and retained its value. If a property has experienced a water intrusion, your SERVPRO Franchise Professional can inspect the damage to see whether moisture has penetrated materials or is allowing mold growth.
Control Moisture- Reduce Mold
Prior to listing a property, the following steps can be taken to reduce the potential moisture buildup or mold growth. Should a damage event occur, timely response is the key to preventing further damage- act withing the first 24 to 48 hours.
- Correct any water leaks or standing water.
- Remove standing water under cooling coils or air handling units.
- Properly maintain humidifiers, if used
- Replace wet or visible moldy insulation materials.
- Steam cleaning and other methods involving moisture should not be used on any kind of duct work.
- Install a ventilation system.